Interview with Phoebe Pinnock from Heaven the Axe





What got you interested in music in the first place?


My earliest memory of wanting to do music was of when I was 5 years old I went to a local singing and dancing concert of kids in a high school auditorium. It had amazing glittery costumes and clever lighting and I had never seen a live concert like it before. I was sitting up the front and a group of kids came out singing "Catch a Falling Star and Put It In Your Pocket" with actions and lighting to match. It blew my mind and remember very vividly even now deciding then and there I would make my life about music. I read somewhere that when you're 5 or 6 there is a psychological function which imprints on your direction in life. I got mine watching that song that day and have always been trying to catch that falling star with clever lighting ever since.


Have there been any genres of music that influenced you besides rock?


Absolutely. Growing up I was always big on the divas. In the same way that the guitarists in my band bend their minds and practice their technique on the solos and riffs of the greats I practised my technique singing along with the great vocalists. I would sing Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston CDs over and over until I got every single note of every inflection. My very favourite musical artists are Dani Siciliano and Rosin Murphy (of Moloko). Their solo music is very inspiring - the different sounds and structures. Its really clever and very colourful. Other than that Im listening to Warpaint and meditation music. God knows how thats going to translate onto the next batch of songs that come out of me. Ive learnt a lot about writing music that makes you want to move and bend your knees and nod your head and thats the genre HTA is in. Its like a puzzle to me and catchy, hooky hartd rock songs are my favourite puzzle. The boys on the other hand they are a whole other breed - they only like two genres - heavy and metal! They live on Napalm Death, Slipknot, Revocation, He Is Legend, The Melvins, Pantera, all the greatest metal bands and many more. Their motto is "If its not metal its shit". 


What is the story behind the name Heaven the Axe?


Originally it was “Heaven, The Axe and Dirty Wings” but we axed the wings so to speak. It’s a reflection of the sound, pop vocals and melody crossed with big dark chunky riffs. To me I always see the correlation to my life…I have a Capricorn sun and Cancer moon, that’s like a walking contradiction. Like the softest most beautiful concept melded with the harshest most painful object. Its also the theme of my life and the music - I have to do this, its do or die.


With your cd about to be released, what are your expectations for it and what are your long term goals?


I hope that a lot of people get to hear it. I hope people are inspired by the lyrical content and the freedom my attitude brings in being yourself and breaking free from the constructs of society and religion. I hope to find a great manager and a booking agent so I can have more time to focus on my art, I hope to restore faith in hard working independent bands that they may be recognised by word of mouth and the quality of our live shows. My long term goals are to get enough of a spotlight on my music to write a book on my life and the story I have to tell - for now that has to come through in elements of my songs and lyrics and interviews. I feel that the journey I've had as a person is hopefully more than just the past - that it may be used to inspire other women to go for their dreams and to be comfortable with themselves and who they really are. I hope to make a plan on touring overseas next year.


What countries are you looking at touring through in the future?


Europe is first on our list.


What can people expect from your live shows?


People can expect an unashamed wild front woman, who can sing and a band that will be like a ton of bricks in your face! When people see a Heaven The Axe show, Im not necessarily dressed like some of my photos, but I want them to connect to a darker side of themselves, an animalistic side, a side where they cease to be an employee, a business person, a mother, a husband, a daughter, a trades man or whatever it is they might be responsible for. I want them to connect to being free and have the music and the show take them to a place where they feel daring, sexy and tough. Where there are no apologies just pure living and enjoyment. Where they can be wild, band their heads and go crazy and sing with me!

Share This