Stef Lang Interview



What was the first artist that you heard that inspired you to do music? 


The first singers that inspired me to sing were Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion. The first artists that inspired me to write were Ani Difranco, Tegan and Sara and Joni Mitchell

Usually most of the music I post on my page is light or heavy rock, but people really took to your song "What We gonna Do". Do you think your music appeals to people of all different tastes?

Yes. I draw inspiration from all kinds of music and I'm finding that my writing covers a wide range in genre. Sometimes I write more pop Top 40 music, other times it can be more acoustic folk or I even write over top of hiphop beats. There's something for everybody especially in the lyrics.

Describe what its like to try to get your name out there in the music industry today and what has helped you.

It's very hard. haha! There's really nothing easy about it. The two things that have helped me most is being persistent and doing things myself. You can't wait around for anyone else to help you, you just have to create your goals and consistently take action towards them.

Take your time with making your art, enjoy the process and also be patient and know things are unravelling the way that they are supposed to.

The music business is built on relationships. Especially relationships with your fans. Be good to them, talk to them, give them something special and eventually they become your army for spreading the word:)



If you had a chance to tour anywhere that you haven't yet, where would it be?

Europe and Asia:)

What are your short term goals for your career at the moment and what would you like to ultimately accomplish by the end of your career?

I'm going out to live in the woods for a month. I hope to find a place quiet enough so I can demand more honesty from myself for my writing. This is my short term and ongoing goal for my songwriting.

I'll also be touring the US very soon and I'd like to play as many cities as I can while I'm there.

Ultimately, by the end of my career, I wish to have a timeless body of work that people can enjoy and have move them emotionally. Also to be well travelled - touring all over the world meeting amazing people along the way and have had unforgettable experiences.

If you could do a duet with any artist past or present, who would you pick?
Hmm. How about work with? I'd love to work with Tegan and Sara, Ani Difranco, Rihanna, Elton John, Timbaland. Oh and Gavin Degraw, Daniel Merriweather oo! and Adele.

Stef Lang

Share This